Friday, June 15, 2007

Studio Friday: Wabi Sabi

Wabi-sabi (in Kanji: 侘寂) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The phrase comes from the two words wabi and sabi. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" (according to Leonard Koren in his book Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers.

What imperfection are you struggling with in either your art or studio space? Is your ideal set too high? Do you put too much pressure on yourself? Try to see the beauty in its imperfection and celebrate it!!


"Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."
(taken from Wikipedia on the topic of Wabi Sabi)

I have said for years that my art work, and now my jewelry designs, will never be truly complete because there is always room for improvement.


Recently, I have moved to change the direction of my jewelry designs because, quite frankly, I was ready for a change. I am now working toward more simple, young styles, and am pleased by the outcome.

I hope that the new look will resonate with a younger crowd more than the designs of my past had.
I enjoy sharing my work with people of all ages, but would be ecstatic to see my peers enjoying YD jewelry as much as I do.

This is why I have worked hard these last few weeks to find materials that will allow me to sell my new line, made with all sterling silver findings, at a reasonable price for a young budget (prices at $35.00 or less).


This, of course , is by no means the end of my design innovations, because I believe that, "Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect".

2 comments:

BellaColle said...

Very sleek! I dare say "classy" Nice Job!

A Punkin Card Company said...

Very classy, as bella said, you are doing great! How about coffee? I could use a break from this huge card order!!