Friday, July 13, 2007

Studio Friday: Look Back

This week's topic for Friday July 13th: LOOK BACK!

They say don't ever look back, nor dwell on things for too long. One is supposed to instead just move on, eyes straight ahead focused on one's goal.
BUT...here's the but... while it is certainly true to not look back and dwell on the negative events it is one of the best things one can do, to look back... but on the positive things and see how far you have come!!!

"The people who are happy and fulfilled measure their progress by comparing where they are against where they’ve come from. The people who are stressed and dissatisfied measure progress by comparing where they are against their ideals."- Jamie Smart



This topic is a little bittersweet for me because as you may already know from reading one of my last posts, I'm letting go of my original dream for Yvette Designs.

Looking back to the start of my jewelry making endeavors, I have come a long way. I went from not knowing what a blog was, to being blogging obsessed; from being photographically challenged, to nearly accomplished. The materials that I used have evolved to better quality and the jewelry now has a more young and contemporary style.


My first and only jewelry party is depicted in these two photos above. I hosted it at my home. The day that I sent the invitations the city began roadwork on my narrow two way street(I had no idea they were going to do this), and it completely threw the success of the party. I only had a few guests, and only one of them bought jewelry. I put a lot of effort into it, and I was crushed, but I kept forging ahead with my sales in other ways.

This photo was one of my first attempts with hot lamps and an empty milk carton diffuser. I would sweat to death in my little home office or in the hallway where I'd try to get the perfect shots to put up on my new blog. At this time, I had never even heard of Etsy. Now, getting the perfect shot is as simple as point, click, and some minor Corel Photo touch ups, and Etsy is no longer a mystery.

My jewelry and I have come a long way. The journey has been fun, but there is still more to do. Since I'm ever changing, it should be interesting to see how my skills and jewelry develop in the next year. Maybe then I will do another similar post to have a walk down memory lane.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally understand how hard change can be. Sometimes you just need to let go of things and let something new flow into that space left behind.

I look forward to seeing what new things you venture into!!

beki said...

Being able to see the change is one aspect of blogging that I really love. If I hadn't recorded my jouney through blogging, I would easily forget where I came from, those early projects that were so simple, or my total flops. I too have come a long way, and am excited about the future.

A Punkin Card Company said...

I am so proud of you for taking the stand you needed in your life! Change is hard but it can also be exciting!

I am very honored to know you!

BailiwickStudio said...

I can relate to your journey - discovering blogging, struggling with photography, learning about etsy - I've been on the same road. But it's been worth the learning curve, I think!

Artifax said...

What a beautiful set up for your jewelry party! Very glam!

Your vision for your jewelry business may need to be put on hold a bit, but what exciting new things you will be doing! And when it is time, your business will be ready to take into new directions that haven't even been imagined yet!